Thursday

My Book is Published! Now What?

I've announced the release of my newest children's picture book, Kailee Finds Magic IN Words on Facebook and some other social media sites and now I'd like to introduce it on my blog! This book is a sequel to The Pea in Peanut Butter.

Kailee doesn't like to read but her mother is forcing her to practice. She'd much rather play dolls or rock out on her drums. Until she finally opens a book. Magic happens and she finds herself inside the book where she meets a talking chipmunk, Oliver. Together they go on an adventure to find the Grand Garoogle. Kailee discovers that words can take you on all kinds of adventures if you just believe.

I absolutely loved writing this story! I discovered a few things about myself after writing this story too. I love writing fantasy! Being able to use my imagination to its fullest capacity really gets my engine roaring. After all, when I was a kid, my imagination was wild. I played all kinds of magical things with my brother and sister. Sometimes when our parents were gone and my sister and I were left to babysit our younger brother, we really had to stretch our minds to keep ourselves from getting bored. We didn't have all the electronic gadgets of today to occupy ourselves.

My little brother was so much fun (well in between fights that is). I'm sure deep down he thought my sister and I were completely insane with some of things we made him play out. But he was always a good sport and played right into our hands. Even when we made him play the part of Cheetah, while my sis and I were Tarzan and Jane. I'm surprised he even speaks to us after making him do that!

I think one of his favorite "magical quests" was when we set up our living room as an obstacle course. We blind folded him and made him find his way under tables, over chairs, through tunnels and whenever he did, he got some kind of candy! He loved that.

It's because of one of our nutty magical games we played that I am a writer today. One of our adventure's always stuck in my mind and that was what made me sit down and begin writing my first story. I thought it would make a great MG novel. Once I began tapping on the keyboard, I discovered how magnificent it felt and I haven't stopped writing since. However, I've yet to finish that novel.

I discovered early on that it's picture books I'm most passionate about and what I seem to be pretty good at. So that's what I've stuck with the last five years. Someday, I do plan to expand onto novels of some kind.

Ok, so now my second picture book is out. Now WHAT? Well I have more waiting in the wings but in the meantime, here comes the hardest part of writing. At least in my eyes. PROMOTION.

I am not a salesperson, in fact I suck at it. I don't like pushing anything on people. But if us authors don't do that, no one will even know about our books, let alone buy them. And although writing isn't really an expensive side-kick, we still need to make what money we do spend...back. And some profit would be thrilling! But the only way to do that is to get the word out. Which is not an easy task. Especially if you're like me and you just don't know that many people.

So that's where I'm at today. I'm sure that a lot of people that don't understand how important it is to our careers as writers that we remind people over and over about our books, get a little sick of seeing us telling the world constantly that we have a book out. But I hope my audience will be patient with me and better yet...help me celebrate and spread the word!

Kailee Finds Magic IN Words is available on amazon.com right now but soon will be available on all online bookstores. If anyone would like an autographed copy, just shoot me an email at allyn_stotz@yahoo.com.


10 comments:

  1. Fantastic Allyn. Congratulations! I sent out your link on twitter and FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Allyn! It's amazing how childhood snippets stick with us and it's a grand feeling to be able to write about it. Off spreading the news on Twitter, Google + now. Promotion is always difficult but keep on keeping on. If you need any help (a mention of a giveaway on my blog), let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Claudine. And yes, I would love for you to mention me in your blog. I'll email you!

      Delete
  3. proud of you little sister and looking forward to many more. Question is ... who will make the first million bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT!! Great your next book is out. I know you have more to come. All your stories are fantastic and the books will be magical for the little kids who are blessed to get them. Enjoyed hearing about how you and and your sister tormented your brother...but look where you two are today...both published authors. Fasinating. I hope he's enjoying the creative juices he helped fill you two with!! How! By being one of y'alls avid fans, of course!! I know I am and I didn't even get mistreated by y'all. heehee. Can't wait to hold one of your new books in my hand -- and then read it to my little grandbaby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for saying all this Deb! And I only mentioned the "calm" ways I tormented my poor brother. Maybe that's why he played along so well with us. He was afraid of his mean older sister!
      I can't wait for you to read to your grandbaby either. Thanks for all your support!

      Delete